Best Diaper Bags for Flying
So what really does make a good diaper bag for flying? If you are planning a vacation or are a regular flier, then having a diaper bag that ticks all the boxes for that purpose is a very important consideration. There are as you may know a lot of restrictions that have been brought in by the newer TSA flying regulations.
Those regulations along with the latest security measures, put in place by the airports/airlines, have made it really tough to know what really is allowed. As an example baby food is allowed in reasonable quantities in carry-on bags. However you do need to remove these items from your carry-on bag to be screened separately from the rest of your belongings.
However, given the current circumstances with both local and even International travel, then we have little choice but to work within those guidelines. Based on that information, I have put together a list of what I think are the best diaper bags for air travel.
Carry On Diaper Bag Policies at Airports
Different airlines have different policies sadly, and these policies also are different if you are on an internal flight or an International flight. It would be too simple if they could all agree a standard policy! It really is a very frustrating thing though.
However as a general guideline, and in terms of carry on luggage, most airlines allow you to have 1 carry on bag and 1 personal item such as a briefcase, a laptop bag or a purse. A Diaper bag would also fall into that category.
As an example of just one policy from American Airlines, the following applies:
"American Airline passengers are permitted to carry one piece of hand baggage on board their flight and one personal item that must be able to fit under the seat in front of you. This would include a purse, a briefcase, a laptop bag or similar items such as a tote. Hand baggage must be no bigger than 56cm x 36cm x 23cm including handles and wheels.
However, it should be noted that Basic Economy passengers travelling within the US, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean are only permitted to carry one personal item on board, such as a briefcase, a laptop bag or otherwise. All other bags must be checked. "
Each airline is different though, but most are understanding enough as they know that parents will need to have a diaper bag, especially with a baby or toddler.
Normally you can find this information out when booking your ticket, and don't be afraid to ask for clarification. Always ask about this when booking as these type of travelling policies change all the time.
For your own purposes though the important things to remember when buying a diaper bag for travel, is that it will be durable, hold everything you need and be easy to get in and out of.
It will also need to have a good changing pad as that will be used a lot. In most cases, you should be able to keep it tucked under the seat in front of you. The only place where you are not allowed to do that is the emergency exits. Once again the air staff on the plane should be able to help you with that.
One other piece of information that I think is useful, is to understand just how little room there is inside an aircraft toilet facility. It is pretty cramped and changing options become very limited. A changing pad is a must though.
What Are the Best Diaper Bags for Airline or International Travel?
In reality whether you are travelling by plane, car or any other method the way you pack your diaper bag will definitely change, and I know this from experience. The question that I asked myself, was there actually any such thing as a diaper travel bag?
The answer to that was yes there are. My next question was pretty simple and that was to find out if they were in fact any good, or just another gadget? Now there are not that many specifically designed for travel, but here are some of the ones that I did find with reviews on them, that buyers really liked and have used.
Now personally, and especially when travelling on a plane, it is always a good idea to try and keep your hands as free as possible. A backpack is always a better idea for a diaper bag, as it can be put on over your shoulders. That then keeps your hands free to hold other luggage, a toddler's hand or handle paper work.
No 1 Choice - KiddyCare Diaper Bag Backpack
- This bag comes with a lifetime warranty
- Has 3 insulated pockets
- Has 2 side pockets
- A total of 15 pockets to make organization a great deal easier
- Measures 11.4 х 9.1 х 16.5
- Weighs only 1.6 pounds, so ideal when travel allowances have to be considered
- it has a heavy duty zipper
- Has a button that can lock both the upper handles to hang the bag conveniently on a stroller
- It also has padded back straps
- I think this is a really good choice for baby care during traveling
- This one is a very popular choice for many frequent fliers.
You can buy this one in the gray color or it is available in black if you prefer that. It is also very easy to wipe and keep clean, is sturdy and holds a lot of things.
No 2 Choice - HaloVa Diaper Bag Multi-Function Waterproof Travel Backpack
- The nag measures 10.6 x 8.3 x 16.5 inches
- Weighs 0.65 kg.
- It is made from a tough and durable oxford fabric, which is water resistant and easy to wipe clean
- There is a large main compartment, with separate storage pockets including insulated pockets & wet clothes pocket
- They also offer a lifetime warranty
- So if you're not completely satisfied, then they will give you a 100% refund within 90 days of purchase
- 71% of all buyers gave this on a 5 star review
- Buyers say the bag keeps it shape and the interior is also very easy to keep clean
You can buy this one in black, dark blue and 16 other colours so a wide choice.
No 3 Choice - Okkatots Travel Baby Depot Backpack Bag
- This one from the Okkatots brand remains a popular choice for many parents and it is available in black, gray, navy and red.
- It holds up to 16 large diapers which is key when travelling, and has insulated pockets for a few bottles and sippy cups.
- It measures 19.5 x 15 x 6" so that is a good size bag and it weighs around 3 pounds so not too heavy when empty.
- It is strong and durable and I think those two features are vital so as the bag can last you for a very long time. Online buyers rate this bag with a 72% buyer satisfaction rating.
- It is not that high a rating but most of the complaints are price related rather than about the quality of the bag. This backpack can be used to hold everything you will need for your baby when going on vacation or travelling.
They have pretty much thought about everything and at around the $100 price tag, they should have. I liked the ventilated pouch that held a couple of pacifiers, and I particularly liked the waterproof pouch, that kept the wet things well away from all the dry gear.
This bag comes with a plastic wipe dispenser which means you can buy those op open tubs and just set them in. That makes life a great deal easier.
You can get four 8 ounce bottles into the bottle holder, and when you think it also holds up to 16 diapers, then I can tell you that when you have done that, then there is still a ton of room left, and a lot of pockets to use as you will. It is small wonder that this bag ticks the boxes for almost any travelling parent.